Sunday, April 20, 2008

COLD WAR APPAREL THAT SPITS HOT FIRE

.
Ahh yes... it's time to present another fine addition to the Good Rubbish shop on cafepress. If you don't care to read my latest attempt at pooping on my keyboard, you can check out the spectacular product line here. We now return to our regularly schedule drivel:

I got a little overzealous with a wrenching-intensive project I was working on this afternoon, which has lead to my right hand becoming more bruised than a 3 week old banana. What, too tame? Would you have preferred some sort of unsettling child abuse joke? Well too bad, 'cause I'm not going there.

Anyway, my bruised hand has nothing to do with the subject of this post, but everything to do with my rushing through the composition of the writing found within. Injuries things take time to heal, typing makes my spindly woman-hands hurt, get over it.

For the past few weeks I've been working on this shirt design concept that came to me during one of my biweekly candlelight readings of old speech transcripts from the Reagan administration, though I'm sure I could have come up with this idea without those transcripts in hand, as it plays off of what is almost certainly Reagan's most recognizable quote from his 8 years in office: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

(direct quote roughly at the 1:55 mark)



As history clearly shows, Mr. Gorbachev did tear down that wall, but what happened afterwards? Well, considering that it was 1989 and all, I can only imagine that the leaders of the Soviet and American governments got together at a neutral site and listened to "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock while snorting cocaine and drinking Foster's beer (what with the Crocodile Dundee-born Australia craze and all). It was during this hypothetical intoxication summit that Reagan would utter the most profoundly worthless edict of his presidency: Mr. Gorbachev, tear off this roof."

Tear-off-roof-copy

This was a tough design to bring to fruition, as I wanted to make Gorbachev and Reagan look like they were intoxicated in some way. I tried putting them in triangular party hats (because nothing says "intoxication" like a 7 year old's birthday party), then tried to create images that incorporated their heads alongside bottles of the sauce, but clearly none of these methods work. I was left with only one path of recourse: Put their heads in a structure with a roof on it, so that the quote makes some measure of sense. Not a resounding success, but I enjoy the design anyway.

A personal favorite from this product line is the BBQ Apron, as the design really lends itself to hearty revelry AND people just don't wear aprons as much as they should anymore. Go ahead and try to argue against me on that point. You will lose.

That is it, and that is all. Arrivederci, mon ami.

No comments:

Followers